Latest news (April 2014): Caretab failed to receive funding from the Nominet Trust and I made the decision not to apply for other funding. However Caretab rises again not as a separate company but as a consultancy option from Ron Strong Consultancy Services and I am looking at advising a local NHS Trust
I am currently running with a project called Caretab. I have formed a limited company for it and am pursuing funding.
- There are 10.8 million people aged 65 or over in the UK
- There are well over 22 million people aged 50 years and over, over a third of the total UK
- There are now nearly 14.5 million people in the UK aged 60 and above.
- Over 1.4 million people are aged 85 or over
Recently the Government has stated that more must be done to combat loneliness amongst the Elderly. In a speech on 18 October 2013, Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt said “A forgotten million who live amongst us – ignored to our national shame” and it is a source of “national shame” that as many as 800,000 people in England are “chronically lonely”.
CareTab is a complete internet-based service designed to help families keep in touch, particularly elderly relatives. By using low cost tablets, a combination of ready to use web services and a custom-made private website for you and your family, we provide a package suited to elderly, often isolated relatives.Issues we need to address
- nearly half (49%) of all people aged 75 and over live alone
- 12% of older people feel trapped in their own home
- 17% have less than weekly contact with family, friends and neighbours
- 11% have less than monthly contact
- Loneliness is as harmful for our health as 15 cigarettes a day
- People with a high degree of loneliness are twice as likely to develop Alzheimer’s
- Approximately 775,000 older people (7% of those aged 65 or over in the UK) say they are always or often feel lonely
Source of statistics: AgeUK 2013
CareTab 2.0 is a unique, complete internet-based service designed to enable families to keep in touch, particularly across two generations. By using low cost, touch screen computers (tablets), we provide the perfect package for keeping in touch with often isolated, elderly relatives.
For more information go to www.caretab.net