Now independent, Ron Strong was formerly Assistant Chief-Executive – Technical Services at leading not-for-profit housing organisation, Unipol Student Homes, based in Leeds, England. Unipol is a national charity and the market leader in Student Accommodation services in the UK. Ron Strong worked at Unipol for over 20 years and covered a number of areas of resposnibility.
Career highlights include:
- Worked at Unipol since October 1989 led a number of operational areas over this period including Housing Management and Development, the Accommodation Bureau, Information and Communications Technology and Health and Safety.
- A Senior Manager since 1994. Most recently responsible primarily for Information and Communications Technology and Health and Safety.
- Was responsible throughout the period for managing all technology at Unipol including industry leading web sites, including developing the pioneering accommodation search engine in 1997 – continuing to be the industry leading site and managing redesigns in 2003 and 2007
- The development of other web sites and applications for internal and external use.
- Managing office systems including the computer network operating in the Leeds, Bradford and Nottingham serving over 50 users and other office technology including telephony.
- Development and design of new student housing schemes, helping set property accreditation standards and coordinating Health and Safety Policies.
- Specifying and managing various projects including projects as diverse as the web site to property developments such as the Alexander Court and New York Street developments in Leeds City Centre, Carlton Hill, a community housing 236 students in 50 flats which was opened in September 2001, Mill Street a 11 storey, 447 bed development in Leeds City Centre, in September 2004 and Grayson Heights – a mixed family and postgraduate redevelopment of a local authority block in 2008.
- Made the decision to work as a freelance consultant in June 2010 maintaing close links with Unipol as an external contractor.
- Developed mobile student property search site for unipol (http://www.unipolleeds.co.uk/m) including geo location facilities – launched Dec 2010